Our website uses cookies to give you a better browsing experience, and by using our site you accept our cookies policy


One of the most highly paid types of haulage jobs you can do is the transportation of dangerous goods from one country to another. Not only is the distance a high earner, but the responsibility of carrying this particular category of cargo as well.  But not just anyone is allowed to do a job like this. The transportation of dangerous goods is a highly regulated field, with international laws governing who can do it.


What is the ADR?

The ADR is a set of European rules and regulations specific to dangerous goods haulage via road or ship. Most countries around the continent have opted into the European Agreement relating to the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road (ADR). Whenever you’re transporting these sorts of goods, you’ll need to carry the relevant documentation with you at all times which gives information about your cargo.


Why do you need the ADR?

Without the right skills, knowledge and experience, it would be potentially very dangerous for you to carry certain types of cargo. A lot of cargo could be flammable, explosive or toxic and could cause serious injury to you and those around you, as well as the environment. ADR ensures you know everything you need to know to avoid any accidents, as well as all the procedures you need to know when it comes to classifying the goods you’re carrying.

Because ADR is written into the national legislation of each country, this means that the crossing of the border from one country into another with these kinds of goods is a smooth one, with the regulations, are recognised on either side.


What documentation do you need to carry dangerous goods?

There are some specific documents you need to carry when you transport dangerous goods. These are outlined in the ADR regulations, and are as follows:

Dangerous goods vehicle approval certificate

In addition, if you are carrying explosives or goods in tanks and plan to travel by road through ADR-implementing countries, you may need a separate certificate under Annex B. This applies to vehicles including tank-battery, fixed-tank and more, and all of these must be inspected thoroughly to ensure they’re as safe as possible for the loads they’re carrying. ADR governs things such as the brakes, lighting, steering and electrics in these types of vehicles with this sort of cargo.

Your vehicle will get a certificate of approval once it has been inspected at the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency at one of their Goods Vehicle Testing Station, and this certificate is valid for a year before your vehicle needs a new one. For more details on ADR certificates, please download ADR 2017 from the UNECE website.

ADR training certificates for drivers

As well as your vehicle having its own certification if necessary, you will also need a certificate under some circumstances.  Drivers of dangerous goods transported in tanks or tank components must have a certificate which says they have undergone some standard safety training under the ADR agreement.

This is known as an ADR Certificate. Even if your particular cargo or vehicles doesn’t need this level of certification, you will still need to go on a basic training course. The course gives you additional hazard perception skills, accident and emergency training, and general safety knowledge. To know more about ADR Driver training get in touch with one of our training advisors, simply call us on  08000315765


We are open Monday-Thursday 9am to 6pm and Friday 9am to 5:30pm

Just fill in your details below and we’ll send you a free theory test practice with.
Just let us know your score...

We reserve the right to contact you in the
future via this email

By Signing up, you agree to our Terms & Privacy Policy


By Signing up, you agree to our Terms & Privacy Policy


By Signing up, you agree to our Terms & Privacy Policy


By Signing up, you agree to our Terms & Privacy Policy


By Signing up, you agree to our Terms & Privacy Policy

Request A Callback

Corporate Form