Our website uses cookies to give you a better browsing experience, and by using our site you accept our cookies policy


It is no surprise by now that the UK is almost definitely leaving the EU. But what does this mean for you as an HGV driver? – in this article we will cover how the change will affect you and any changes you may or may not experience in the industry.  


HGV Driving in Europe 

 If the UK leaves the EU on the 29th March 2019 without a deal, you will need to carry extra documentation as a commercial driver. It is unlikely that this will happen, but more details will be made available closer the time.  

Keep up to date:  

 It is important to keep up to date with news about Brexit to ensure you continue to drive within the parameters of the law. Below are some links which you should bookmark that will keep you in the loop with the latest news :

vehicle prohibition HGV

Transporting goods abroad from the UK  

 At present, you are required to hold a community licence alongside a standard international operator’s licence for journeys within the EU and EEA. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, countries within the EU may not recognise a community licence if it has been issued in the UK.  Should this be the case, it is likely that the UK government will negotiate an agreement to allow haulage access between the UK and countries in the EU.  

In anticipation of Brexit, we would encourage transport managers to apply for ECMT to allow their drivers to drive in the EU. This could avoid major disruption to companies as their drivers will be able to continue to operate across the borders, in the event that UK issued community licences are no longer recognised by the EU.

hgv drivers after brexit

Trailer registration  

 It will be mandatory from the 28th March 2019 to register commercial trailers above 750kg & 3500kg in order to travel through countries that have consented to the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. 

Below is a list of EU countries which apply :  

 Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine.

In order to comply, you will need:  

 Please note that countries such as Spain, Cyprus & Malta are exempt. Although if you need to drive through any countries listed in the table above to reach these countries, you will need to register the trailer.  

 For the full list of changes should the UK leave the EU with no deal, please follow the link below to keep updated: Commercial road haulage in the EU if there’s no Brexit deal


We are open Monday-Thursday 9am to 6pm and Friday 9am to 5:30pm

Just fill in your details below and we’ll send you a free theory test practice with.
Just let us know your score...

We reserve the right to contact you in the
future via this email

By Signing up, you agree to our Terms & Privacy Policy


By Signing up, you agree to our Terms & Privacy Policy


By Signing up, you agree to our Terms & Privacy Policy


By Signing up, you agree to our Terms & Privacy Policy


By Signing up, you agree to our Terms & Privacy Policy

Request A Callback

Corporate Form